Twitter remains one of the most active social media sites out there so it is no surprise that many brands attempt to establish a following on the site. Here are the brands that I believe capitalise the most proficiently on the site:
On my analysis of McDonald’s Twitter page it is clear to see why they dominate in their field. Firstly, they actually have two Twitter accounts, one for their US and UK counterparts
We can see that both accounts are run pretty much the same, just tailoring the content to suit the culture and products available of their respective areas.
- Both the profile pictures are of the instantly recognisable ‘golden arches’.
- The cover photo reveals McDonald’s recent ad campaigns, one being for the U.K.’s Christmas campaign and the other for the US’s thanksgiving campaign.
- Regarding content, McDonald’s is very proficient, posting daily or every other day. Their content is also varied ranging from photos, videos, online competitions and retweets of post they believe their followers will enjoy
- The content also attempts to make the tweets fun and interesting
- McDonald’s makes an effective use of hashtags on twitter, they used this to their advantage when announcing their ‘All Day Breakfast’ on twitter. This was a huge success resulting in hundreds of thousands retweeting and using the hashtag.
Playstation is another brand that utilises the perfect mix of humour, good content and engagement to be a highly successful Twitter account .PlayStation’s Twitter:
- Instantly recognisable profile photo and well designed promotional cover photo for a new game
- Encourages engagement through retweets and replies to followers
- Posts varied content including photos, videos, text posts and links.
- Playstation posts news on upcoming games to create hype around them,this increases interest and boosts their sales
- They post relevant news on price drops in games, products and merchandise
The twitter account is therefore very human in its approach to retweeting followers but keeps it clever by having followers updated on new games and new deals available.
Similarly to both McDonald’s and Playstation, Forever 21 is a brand that excels on Twitter. The company applies the same successful approach. Their Twitter includes:
- Fashion campaigns as cover photo to promote their stock, profile picture is brand logo
- Posts vary and contain humour, they post outfit ideas, relatable quotes, eye-catching imagery and links to their clothing website and to other bloggers who wear their clothing.
- Encouraging engagement by retweeting followers tweets
- Images posted are very eye-catching and colourful making their tweets very appealing their younger target audience of teenagers and fashion lovers in their twenties.
I hope this post has enlightened you on how followers demand visually stimulating, interesting, varied and humourous content from the Twitter accounts they choose to follow. They also need to be encouraged to engage through retweets and replies. Thank you for taking the time to read this post, I would like to welcome any comments.